Everyone needs to write an explanation letter for the job sooner or later. When you have been invited to attend a meeting for making some important decisions but you couldn’t attend it for some personal problems, writing an explanation letter for not attending the meeting can solve many problems.
Intentionally or unintentionally sometimes we cause inconvenience to others. By writing an explanation letter for not attending the meeting, you convey a message to the reader that you understand the inconvenience they have experienced because of you. When you understand the perspective of the other party, you develop a strong bond with them.
The main purpose of writing this explanation letter is to make the other party understand the reason for not attending the meeting and it also encourages the other party to forgive you for not participating so that they can continue a good relationship with you and can move forward.
What are the tips for writing an explanation letter?
- The explanation letter includes the reason for being absent from the meeting and it also includes a statement of apology
- No matter what the reason was, you should always admit your mistake in the letter.
- Take hundred percent responsibility for yourself for not being able to attend the meeting
- Also, mention how you are going to solve the problem and rectify the mistake.
- Sometimes the explanation letter aggravates the situation when one party blames the other.
- When the explanation or apology doesn’t sound genuine, the explanation letter becomes useless. You should avoid giving a number of lame excuses in the letter rather stay stick to a point and explain it.
- Regardless of the purpose of the meeting, it is important for you to apologize apart from explaining the reason for an absence. In other words, the purpose of writing the explanation letter is not only to let the reader know about your reason for the absence but also to apologize. The wording of the letter should be clear and formal because sometimes the explanations become more controversial because of not choosing the right words
I am writing to apologize for not being able to attend the scheduled meeting on Friday with the Chinese clients. I understand the meeting’s importance and regret the inconvenience caused by my absence.
Unfortunately, I had an unexpected family emergency that required my immediate attention. However, I informed XYZ two hours before the meeting so that alternate arrangements can be made to tend to the clients.
I acknowledge the significance of my presence and the contributions I could have made to the discussion with the clients. I was also supposed to present our team’s proposal to them through a multimedia presentation. My presence would have certainly made a difference by making the meeting more successful.
I seek your permission to personally contact the clients to hold another meeting. I will try my best to persuade them to have a look at my presentation. If it is not possible for them to physically meet us, we can have our discussion online.
Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused by my absence. I am willing to make up for it by rearranging the meeting. I hope for a positive outcome.
Thank you for your understanding and consideration.
I am writing to sincerely apologize for not attending the meeting today at 10. I deeply regret the inconvenience caused due to my absence.
The reason for my absence was a misunderstanding regarding the time of the meeting. I mistakenly believed that it was scheduled for tomorrow. I take full responsibility for the confusion and hold myself accountable for the mistake.
I sincerely regret missing the opportunity to present my ideas and thoughts at the meeting. I was unable to contribute to my team’s efforts due to my absence.
However, I assure you that I will take the necessary measures to prevent a similar situation in the future. Firstly, I will make sure there is better communication and clarity regarding meeting timings and dates. I will carefully review meeting invitations and promptly discuss any uncertainties or conflicts. Additionally, I will set up reminders and double-check the meeting details in order to avoid such misunderstandings.
I greatly value the importance of attending official meetings and being punctual to them. I have learned from my experience and will do my best to avoid such unfortunate situations in the future.
Thank you for your consideration. I really appreciate your support.
Hope you’re enjoying the great weather.
I just called you to inform you about my medical condition. I know we have a very important meeting next week. I was looking forward to it, but I will have to excuse myself from this meeting due to my health. As I mentioned before, I was on medication but after the recent visit to my doctor, he has put me on strict bed rest and a change in medicines as well.
I have instructed John to help you with the presentation and take any notes for me as well. you can reach me any time over call or email should you need my assistance.
Thanks for your support.
Preview and Details of the Letter
File: Word (.doc) 2003+ and iPad
Size 27 Kb
- Letter to Friend Expressing Support
- Letter to Employer Requesting Mental Health Accommodation
- Letter Requesting Reference Check Information
- Letter Requesting Salary Certificate
- Letter Requesting Recommendation from Previous Employer
- One Hour Off Permission Letter to HR
- Payroll Apology Letter to Employee
- Advice Letter to Subordinate on Effective Communication
- Advice Letter to Subordinate on Time Management
- Letter to Patient for Feedback/Responding Survey/Online Form
- Warning Letter for Rude Behavior with Manager
- Warning Letter to Supervisor for Inadequate Feedback
- Acknowledgment Letter of Professor for Capable Student
- Warning Letter to Manager for Wrong Work Order
- Secret Santa Letter to Girlfriend