What is an Excuse Note?
An excuse note or an excuse letter is a formal letter that serves the purpose of informing the management of the institution about the reason for the absence of a student and its exact duration. The absence must be communicated in such a way so as to make the management aware that the absence was due to a valid reason for which usually proofs are also added. The letter is usually written by the parents/guardians of the student, or by the student himself under their supervision.
Some of the common reasons for the absence of the students from the school include the following:
- Sickness- Temporary or Prolonged (medical certificate required)
- Doctor appointments-usually dentists or opticians
- Court Proceedings
- Religious Occasions
- Family adversities- like funerals
- Exclusive parent/guardian requests-for any mentioned personal reasons
- Family vacations
- Extra or Co-curricular activities outside school
What should be included in Excuse Note?
Some necessary requirements following the format and information to be shared in the excuse note, include the following:
- Date: The date of the letter being written to the management should be accurately mentioned.
- Receiver’s Credentials: The receiver i.e. the respective coordinator, the teacher should be clearly mentioned with his/her name, position, and school address.
- Student Credentials: The full name, parent/guardian name, and grade should be mentioned accurately for identification.
- Reason for Absence: The reason for the absence of the student should be stated and excused for.
- Duration of Absence: The date/ day of absence, or if for a period, then a starting day/date and the ending day/date should be mentioned honestly.
- Supplementary Documents: If the absence was due to sickness, then medical prescription or certificate, or if for example for a vacation then ticket copies or visa copies shall be attached with the excuse letter.
- Signature: The excuse note should be signed by the student’s parent or guardian.
Sample Back to School Excuse Note
[Coordinator/Teacher Name, Position]
Subject: Back to School Excuse Note
I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing this letter to inform you about the reason of the absence of my son/daughter [Name,] S/O, D/O [Father’s Name], Grade [Class Number] and to request you to allow him/her to resume his/her classes.
Unfortunately, my son/daughter was unable to attend his/her classes from [Date of starting] to [Date of ending], due to food poisoning. He/ She ate something for the stalls on his/her way from school, which lead him to severe stomach pain and vomiting diagnosed as food poisoning. The doctor prescribed him/her complete bed rest due to weakness and routine check-ups; therefore, he/she could not attend school.
My son/daughter has now recovered and is fit to re-join his/her classes. Kindly allow him/her to do so. The medical certificate and doctor’s recommendation are attached to the letter. I shall be highly obliged by your consideration.
[Date of Letter]
File: Word (.docx) 2007+ and iPad
Size 24 Kb