Sometimes it may happen that you receive an invoice or bill and it contains errors. These errors may be because of some mechanical failure or some misinformation. In order to correct the errors and adjust the bills, you have to write a letter.
When you write a letter, you ask the company to remove the errors and adjust the bill in a professional way and it becomes more likely that the organization will hear you out rapidly in a professional way. Moreover, it will also become a token of your proof that you have addressed the issue.
Follow the given guidelines if you have errors in your bill and want to write a letter for its adjustment;
- Write Immediately: If you have errors in your bill do not waste any time and immediately take action to address this issue or else you would be late.
- Professional Letter Format: Write the letter in a professional letter format.
- Provide Necessary Details: Mention all the necessary details about your bill. It may include the date, amount of transactions, total billing, difference in the billing. In short, anything that sounds important to you mention it in the letter. It will take away any confusion that might happen.
- Be Polite: Since it is a request letter your tone should be courteous and polite. It should not feel like you are demanding or threatening the organization.
- Tell about Errors: It is the main part of the letter. In this, you will mention the billing errors carefully. Make sure you do not leave out any important detail about errors.
- Ask for Correction: Once you have addressed the errors of the bill then you will request the company for correction. Provide the correct information about the bill(s) for the counterpart of errors. You may also ask for additional information about the bill in the last paragraphs.
- Attach Required Documents: It is important to attach the required documents for the process of error correction. Such as photocopies of the bill. Do not attach original documents.
- Ask for Help: End the letter by asking the reader to help you.
Sample Letter for Bill Adjustment
[State, ZIP Code]
[State, ZIP Code]
Subject: Summarizes the Intention of the Letter, usually bold – optional
Dear [Recipient’s Name],
I had order household items from your online website yesterday. I received the package, but the billing prices are different from the prices that were mentioned on the website. I had bought the grocery of the total $[X]. But when I received the bill it was total $[X]. I have attached the required documents along with the bill for correction. Please investigate the matter and make adjustments so that I can make the payment immediately.
[Sender’s Title] – Optional
[Enclosures: number] – Optional –
cc: [Name of copy recipient] – Optional
File: Word (.docx) 2007+ and iPad Size 21 Kb | Download