What is an appointment letter?
An appointment letter is also known as “job offer letter” or “job letter” is an official notice by the company or the organization to the selected candidate that he/she has been hired for the position applied. An appointment letter is a guarantee about the given post in the company. An appointment letter is an integral part of the entire job process as it provides the details to the new employee. It is a valuable record and a contract between the company and the employee that defines the terms and conditions in exchange for the salary being paid by the organization.
How to write an appointment letter:
- On the top left side mention the date.
- Followed by the date, mention the employee name.
- After the employee name, mention the address.
- Start with the salutation by addressing the employee’s name or surname.
- Mention the subject and designation of the appointment.
- Open up with the warm welcome and mention the purpose of writing.
- In the next paragraph describe the probation period if required, employee’s job, responsibilities, terms, and conditions, salary, working hours etc.
- State the benefits that the company is providing that has been discussed in the interview. Be sure to highlight the company procedures, vacations policies, and dress code.
- Ask the employee to return one copy to the department with the employee’s signature and date at the bottom of the letter.
- Close the letter with the positive note and asking for their response to this letter. Also, assure them that they are important for the organization and that the company is looking forward to them.
End up with sincerely, employer name and signature. Also, give a space for employee’s signature and date.
Keys and guidelines:
- Open with congratulations or greeting statements.
- Appointment letter signifies the start of something good.
- Set expectations.
- Should mention the terms and conditions.
- Do not mention the condition of employment, basis of termination and duration of the job.
- Ends up with a warm welcome to the organization.
- There must be two copies, one should be returned to the organization signed and dated by the employee and another copy is retained by the employee.
- It can be more than one page but be precise, accurate. Use paragraph or a paragraph with bullet points depends on what you want to declare.
- The letter must be written in an easy and understandable language.
- The letter must be professional.
- Use the font size that is readable.
Sample for Appointment Letter
RE: Appointment letter for HR manager
Dear Mr. /Mrs. [NAME HERE]
I am pleased to confirm your appointment in the [COMPANY] as the HR manager with the reference to your application and successful interviews, for the fixed tenure of one year. Following terms and conditions will be applicable:
- You will receive the salary of [XXXXX] per month/year.
- You will be allowed to have a leave of 20 days per year.
- The company will also provide the PTOs.
- The working hours will be from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Your job is transferable and there is a possibility of your posting in our different branches across the country.
- The company will provide you the free medical for you and your family.
- The education of your children will be supported by our organization.
- You must join in month XX, year.
- Your appointment will be effective from the date of joining.
If you accept the terms and condition then please sign the duplicate copy of this letter and send this to us. We congratulate you for the appointment and wish you all the luck and a successful career in our organization. We assure you all our support throughout your career and have a strong belief that your skills will make the remarkable difference in increasing the high scale of our company. We are so looking forward to your response to this letter. Your early response will be highly appreciated.
Preview and Details of Template
Appointment Letter Sample
File: Word (.doc) 2003+ and iPad
Size 40 Kb | Download
[Personal Use Only]