A work experience certificate or a work experience letter is a document provided at the end of the employment period which serves as proof of an employee’s achievements, abilities, and skills. For the employee, it often acts like a visa to work for jobs requiring a certain level of experience. In case of a student, work experience certificate is provided at the end of work placement to ensure his capabilities as a worker.
This letter is issued by the employer or the authorized person and is issued on the company letterhead. There may be nominal variations in the formats in different countries as well as different companies, however, the general format of the experience certificate includes details such as:
- Date of issue
- Details of the employee including his designation/position
- Main responsibilities in the job description
- Evaluation of capabilities, skills, and performance
- Tenure of employment with the company
- Details of the authorized person
- Details of the company
This document certifies that the employee has performed well over a period spent at the employer’s company. It is the right of employees to request the employer for an experience certificate. This certificate is useful for employees in various ways.
- It helps an employee in further employment as it is proof that the employee has worked well for a length of time and the employer is verifying that valid experience.
- If an employee wants to apply for higher studies for which work experience is a prerequisite, the certificate would serve as evidence.
- At the time of application of visa or immigration, the embassies of countries demand work experience certificates as well.
- Sometimes, upon employee’s request or as per company policy, the employer includes the details of the salary in the experience certificate as well. This might help the employee if he is unemployed and is seeking a loan as this document can prove his ability to repay.
At the end of an employment period, it is always advisable to get work experience certificate from the employer even if the employee does not need it immediately as it may prove useful later on.
Sample Experience Certificate Statement
Work Experience Certificate
To whom it may concern
This is to inform and certify that Mr. Steven John was working as a full-time worker with ‘The ShowCase Company’, California. He was working as ‘HR manager’. As per the employee record, his tenure of employment with us was five years from 12th January 2012 – 13th February 2017.
During his time with us, we found him a hardworking person with excellent communication, leadership, and management skills. He proved himself as an exceptional team-worker throughout his job. His friendly and candid personality changed the atmosphere of our HR department and increased the productivity of the department.
In addition to his job description that mainly included management of all HR issues, he was always ready to take other responsibilities as well. Over his employment period, he had supervised and managed many projects. In addition, he had conducted many training seminars and personal sessions which were not a part of his job description. On various occasions, he had helped people from many different departments as well in the performance of their tasks.
He was a very responsible, dedicated and dependable employee. We find great pleasure in providing this certificate to ascertain his capabilities and skills. We wish him the very best of luck!
If you need any documents related to his employment with us, feel free to contact us.